File A Report

Individuals have many options with regard to reporting sexual assault, including reporting to the Vermillion Police Department, the University of South Dakota Police Department, and to various campus authorities. Additionally, victims have recourse through the civil and criminal court systems by seeking orders of protection, no-contact directives, and other similar court orders. Victims also have the option to decline to notify authorities.

The Vermillion Police Department and the University urge anyone who has experienced sexual assault to seek support as soon as possible to minimize and treat physical and psychological harm, assist with processing the unique and complex emotional aftermath, help preserve evidence and understand options for criminal charges. Even for individuals who do not want to make a report to the police or pursue disciplinary action, seeking medical attention is important. Victims should be aware of the importance of preserving evidence, which may be necessary to prove criminal sexual assault or to obtain an order of protection.